Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Consolations of the Reign of God

Life is difficult and from time to time dark. Bad things happen. Stress builds up within, without. The four horsemen gallop it seems wherever they want to. I am so happy to have the gift of faith for it brings beauty in the midst of suffering, and the light of Christ shatters the darkness.

God reaches us by whatever means available. Thursday night I felt pressured by all the happenings in a big family and walked out after dark for a breath of fresh air. Walking up the hill towards the church, I remembered prayer. You know what I mean, I'm sure: turning and returning to God's love. As I praised the beauty of sparkling stars on a crisp winter afternoon, I hear children singing "Once in Royal David's City"-- as if I heard God nodding in response.

As I walked past the church, I looked in the windows. The children's choir stood in a small spot of light rehearsing, with music teachers hard at their blessed work on the dark afternoon. Receiving this gift, I turned back towards my own work, refreshed.

To me such moments come directly from God's loving providence.  These touches also symbolize that God is working God's purpose out; that despite the darkness, despite the horsemen, that as Dame Julian says, "all will be well and all will be well and all manner of things shall be well."

Thanks be to God for sending the Son and bringing us to this blessed season.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hello, Steve,
Could you send me the URL to your blog? I would be interested.
Thanks.