Friday, July 8, 2011

Retreat

I'm taking a retreat in the woods. No Internet, no TV: this automatically makes it a retreat. The Cowley Magazine came and gave me that idea. They devoted the issue to their Rule and had some original helpful guidelines for making your own Rule. My retreat will take place at a cottage I'm renting by a lake. Much effort and arrangement making to make it happen; but what a privilege. Other than feeling bereft without the radio and TV, I'm planning to enjoy the break.
The most original thing I already read in the magazine, a layman wrote he started by realizing he already had certain rules written on his heart. What is God trying to write there, what Love?
All I can think about is how Denny and I used to pray and sing hymns on our camping trips. We slept in tents like the Israelites did, but tomorrow I'll sleep in a lakeside cottage. I just think about sitting on that screen porch looking out on the lake. This is going to be a great retreat.

1 comment:

Pat said...

It WAS great. What is written on my heart is my children and grandchildren. As I stood at the kitchen sink one evening thinking a familiar thought about not accomplishing much in my life, I realized, No, THIS is your accomplishment, this is your sacrifice, this has been how you've invested your time.